Thursday, September 22, 2016

Sistrurus catenatus

This is my first action project for my population class. This unit was about the taxonomy of animals and learning how to classify a species. For this action project I chose an animal at the Lincoln Park Zoo, I compared it to other animals, and taxonomized it. The animal I chose was the Massasauga Rattlesnake or Sistrurus catenatus. I also made a collage of the rattlesnake and turned it into a GIF, to help show the taxonomy of the rattlesnake. My favorite part of this project was seeing all the other colleges that other classmates made.The biggest problem I had while making this project was that I broke my toe around the time we started the project and I had a day less to work on it. I ended up working all night to make sure that it would be finished on time, and I think it turned out pretty well.


S. catenatusSt. Louis Zoo(2016)

The animals that I compared to the Rattlesnake was MN's animal (the Eurasian Lynx) and AA's animal (the Gorilla). I noticed that it was easier to compare the Rattlesnake to the Lynx, than it was the Rattlesnake to the Gorilla. I put all the information into a Venn Diagram below.


Untitled drawing.jpg
                                         Comparison, MJF (2016)

Underneath I made some statements to compare and contrast using Set Theory language and then translated them into english so it’s easier to understand.

Let R=reptiles, S=Mammals, C=Cold Blooded, M= Massasauga Rattlesnake,L= Lynx, G= Gorilla

M ∈ {R}

Massasauga Rattlesnake is an element of Reptiles

R ∈ {C} ∴ M ∈ {C}

Reptiles are an element of Cold Blooded therefore Massasauga Rattlesnakes are an element of Cold Blooded

∀R:C
Being cold blooded is true for all reptiles
|{S}|=2
There are two elements in the set of Mammals
P(C) {{R}}
The subset of Cold Blooded is Reptiles

g ∈ Rc∩Cc∩S

Gorilla is an element of not reptiles or coldblooded but is an element of mammals

Works Cited

Michigan. "You Are HereDNR Wildlife & Habitat Wildlife Species Amphibians & Reptiles." DNR. State Of Michigan, n.d. Web. 26 Sept. 2016.

Arcsin. "Sistrurus Catenatus." Massasauga Classification. Bioweb, n.d. Web. 26 Sept. 2016.

No comments:

Post a Comment