Monday, October 12, 2015

Water Filter

For my second action project in my water class I was told to create a water filter. My filter had to get rid of contaminants and particulates, as well as changing the pH level of the water to a 7. To figure out the pH level of the water I used a digital pH reader. To show my proccess and results I took pictures and showed the change in the pH level of the water. It was't hard to build the filter and it worked pretty well. The only thing I had a problem with was getting materials, but I solved that problem pretty easily by going to Pet Smart and getting them.

I wanted everything in my filter to be completley snaitized which is why I bought all my materials. I believed that if I found all my materials then my results wouldn't work as well as store bought materials.
The filter will work since it is the same proccess the earth that filters ground water. Larger gaps will filter larger particles and smaller gaps will filter smaller particles. I layered my materials so that the largest gaps are at the top and the smallest are at the bottom. The water slowly trickled through the filter, the natural strainer left the particlulates behind.

Materials List:
  • A plastic bottle
  • A knife
  • A coffee filter
  • Activated charcoal
  • Sand
  • Gravel
  • A container for the water 
  • A digital pH reader
Steps:
  1. First cut the bottom of the plastic bottle so there is a hole to pour your materials into.
  2. Place the coffee filter between the the cap of the bottle and the bottle.
  3. Poke some holes in the cap to let water drip through when you use the filter.
  4. Make sure the the side of the water bottle with the cap is facing downwards and add a layer of Activated Charcoal into the bottle that fills about a third of the bottle.
  5. Add a thick layer of sand 
  6. Add the final layer of gravel
I tested my water filter three times. 

  1. The first time I filtered it the water was translucent from the side (almost transparent), clear with slight grey color, cloudy, and no odor.
  2. The water was transparent,clear, no odor.
  3. The last time I tested it the water was transparent,clear, no odor.
Before I tested the waterit was Nasty, Dark Brown, had particulates and smelled like coffee.

Works Cited
  • "How to Make a Water Filter." WikiHow. Web. 12 Oct. 2015.

No comments:

Post a Comment